Call us today!
850.837.8474

Blog - GCE Destin

How to Tell if You’re Overloading a Circuit 

An overloaded electrical outlet or circuit is a common reason that may cause house fires. You may have an overloaded circuit in your home that you don’t even know about. Here are a few signs that one of your outlets or circuits is experiencing an overload.

A Flickering Light

If you observe one of your lights frequently blinking, dimming or flickering, even after switching the lightbulb, this is a clear sign that the outlet is probably experiencing an overload.

Your Breaker Malfunctioning

If your appliances that are located in a similar area all go out at the same time, your breaker probably tripped. You can fix this by going to your circuit breaker and resetting it by turning it off and then on again. If this happens often, that circuit is definitely overloaded.

A Buzzing or Clicking Sound

If you notice a quiet clicking or buzzing sound coming from one of your lights or appliances while they’re turned on, this can also be a clear sign that your circuit is being overworked. That buzzing sound should be a reminder to call a professional to check it out.

Feeling a Shock When Plugging Something in

If you feel a slight shock when you’re trying to plug something into an outlet, this is a big sign that the circuit is overloaded. Needless to say, you should not be shocked when you go to plug something into an outlet.

Noticing a Burning Odor

Even a slight burning odor coming from one of your electrical outlets could also be a warning sign that the circuit is being overloaded. If you still notice a burning odor after moving your appliances to another outlet or removing the appliance, contact a professional immediately.

Electrical safety is important in every single household. If you’re in need of any electrical services or you’re still unsure of whether or not you’re overloading any circuits, contact Gulf Coast Electric to have your electrical system inspected by trusted professionals!